Outgoing SMTP Servers

Dennis Burgess dmburgess at linktechs.net
Tue Oct 25 15:57:24 UTC 2011

> I'm curious how a traveller is supposed to get SMTP relay service when, well,
> travelling. I am not really sure if I want a VPN for sending a simple email.
>
> And I can understand (although I am not convinced that doing so is such a
> great idea) blocking 25/tcp outgoing, as most botnets will try that method of
> delivery. However, I do believe that outgoing 465 SHOULD always be
> allowed.
>
> regards
>
> Carlos

[dmb] This is the exact question, why, do you NEED a SMTP Relay on ANY network.  Your domain has a mail server out on the net that if you authenticate to, I am sure will relay your mail, and the reverse DNS and SPF records would match then as well.  Why does the local internet provide NEED to relay though their server, regardless of the port.