Outgoing SMTP Servers

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Oct 25 11:15:00 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-25 12:20 , Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 3:04 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> On 2011-10-25 11:49 , Owen DeLong wrote:
>> [..]
>>> With this combination, I have not encountered a hotel, airport lounge, or
>>> other poorly run environment from which I cannot send mail through my
>>> home server from my laptop/ipad/iphone/etc.
>>
>> Ever heard of this magical thing called a VPN? :)
>
> Sure, but, why deal with the overhead? Who wants to have to login to a
> VPN every time just to quickly retrieve or send some email?

On that iToy of yours it is just a flick of a switch, presto.

>> Indeed, that bypasses all those crappy local networks; and yes don't
>> worry your iToy also has more than ample VPN abilities.
>>

> Some do, some don't, and not all networks are any friendlier to VPNs
> than they are to port 25.

And the final solution then tends to be setting up a VPN on port 443...
Which only wastes one IP address, not several for different services.

>> Set up once and never have to bother about special configurations or
>> getting around stupid filters.
>>

> Except where you have to or where there are so many layers of NAT that
> even VPNs don't work, or...

Unless this 'NAT' is actually a firewall doing DPI on the packets, I
can't see any reason why a VPN which just uses TCP over port 443 can't
work in that situation.

Greets,
 Jeroen