Outgoing SMTP Servers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 25 10:20:18 UTC 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 3:04 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On 2011-10-25 11:49 , Owen DeLong wrote:
> [..]
>> With this combination, I have not encountered a hotel, airport lounge, or
>> other poorly run environment from which I cannot send mail through my
>> home server from my laptop/ipad/iphone/etc.
>
> Ever heard of this magical thing called a VPN? :)

Sure, but, why deal with the overhead? Who wants to have to login to a
VPN every time just to quickly retrieve or send some email?

> Indeed, that bypasses all those crappy local networks; and yes don't
> worry your iToy also has more than ample VPN abilities.

Some do, some don't, and not all networks are any friendlier to VPNs
than they are to port 25.

> Set up once and never have to bother about special configurations or
> getting around stupid filters.

Except where you have to or where there are so many layers of NAT that
even VPNs don't work, or...

I set up the 5 ports once and don't need any special configurations to
get around stupid filters, stuff just works now.

Owen