Outsourcing DDOS

Brett Watson brett at the-watsons.org
Mon Oct 24 23:45:34 UTC 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 10:54 AM, Andreas Echavez wrote:

> Prolexic is the go-to company for handling large-scale DDoSes. We haven't
> yet tried the service, but they've been extremely professional.

Not sure I understand your post. You claim Prolexic are the go-to-guys, and extremely professional… but you haven't used them?

I would agree with Stephan's response as well, some of the other providers have as much capacity to deal with attacks (Verisign, Neustar, etc). And it's not about what's "stated" on their marketing slicks, it's about actual capacity, architecture, and "clue."

Prolexic has a long (early) history of DDoS mitigation, and I have no reason do doubt they are any worse than they used to be but if you haven't used them, it's just conjecture.

I'd be interested to know whom you have experience with and what size of attack you were able to mitigate with them (not being pedantic, but looking for real-world examples and all).

-b