Juniper DOS/Blackhole question

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Sun Oct 23 03:14:14 UTC 2011

Enabling BGP multi-hop is a very common approach with DDoS Mitigation services and also variations of Remote-Triggered Black Holes where the discard route isn't localized on the edge router.  This is not because the customer router will be greater than one hop away, but because enabling multi-hop has an additional side effect of disabling next-hop validation. Without this enabled, the edge router will invalidate the “mitigate” routes received from the customer because the next-hop is not directly reachable via the neighbor.

Not sure about the PPS limitations... The PFE ASICs should be able to handle a 750Mbps / 1.5 Mpps DoS pretty easy...

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ER, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks