Outsourcing DDOS

Vlad Galu galu at packetdam.com
Wed Oct 19 13:46:42 UTC 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 3:13 PM, <samuel.cunningham at wellsfargo.com> <samuel.cunningham at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> We are considering using Prolexic to 'defend' our Internet-facing network from DDOS attacks.  Anyone have any known issues or word of warnings before we proceed?

They say that "When an attack is detected, our protection services are implemented within minutes.
Upon activation, a Prolexic customer routes in-bound traffic to the nearest Prolexic scrubbing center
where proprietary-filtering techniques, advanced routing, and patent-pending hardware devices
remove bot traffic close to the source."

You may want to ask them how near is "nearest" before you proceed. If their sensor is too far from your
systems, simply sending all that traffic to the scrubbing center could be overkill. The last phrase suggests
they use sink holing, though.

--
PacketDam: a cost-effective
software solution against DDoS