[routing-wg] The Cidr Report

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Sun Oct 16 07:05:25 UTC 2011

On 15/10/2011 21:25, Geoff Huston wrote:
> Does anyone give a s**t about this any more?

I do. While most of the content of the actual mail has very little
relevance to me, it does provide useful leverage and motivation to fix
some of the networks where I do have influence.

>  From what I learned at the latest NANOG it's very clear that nobody reads this any more.

I often don't have the time to read every report in detail and much of
it applies to networks outside of my circles. Every few weeks it does
however prompt me to go and review my own network (and sometimes wave a
stick at few ops people)

> Is there any good reason to persist in spamming the nanog list with this report?

I definitely think its still useful for the community. Perhaps the
frequency could be dialed back a little? I'm sure that there are many
people who don't really notice it any more due to their mental white
noise filters.

Perhaps some slightly different presentations of the data would also
make it more useful. I am quite interested in the number of prefixes of
various lengths that are seen in the table and that doesn't get included
in the mailed report.

Perhaps a "biggest climbers & fallers" list would also have more
relevance for the regular report. The "Top 30" list doesn't seem to
change very often... ;-)

--
Graham Beneke