[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Thu Oct 13 22:40:54 UTC 2011

I have been following this thread for a while and I will have to say I am a tad confused.

Remote wipe has been in the iPhone since iOS3.1.3 And if your phone is locked it will wipe after 10 (if I remember correctly) failed unlock attempts.

My iPhone communicates completely encrypted. It is set to VPN back to our office.   And if we didn't wan't to do that we could could use TLS on our mail to keep that traffic encrypted. But encrypt all is the best approach for us.

Personally, I hate mail push. I watch folks in meetings constantly looking down or typing some response and never fully listening to the speakers and not fully engaged in the meeting. Additionally, mail push is indiscriminate and just interrupts my train of thought when I am working. If a communique is truly important whomever can iMessage,SMS,jabber/POTS me; otherwise the mail can just wait till I check my inbox. I understand others feel differently.

On an iPhone today you can get push from exchange, iCloud/iMap, Gmail/GCloud, Yahoo, OSX Server (I believe) or set your phone the check every x minutes (after all what could be so important that 15 latency minutes would cause a catastrophe? (During many catastrophe situations sms could take hours or the voice cell network could be tied up and are you that close to whatever to be able to react). If you need instant response... script it.

As for filtering, its one of my issues about my iPhone.  However, iOS5 supports message flagging and a filter script back on your desktop (where Mail does accept/process message push via IDLE) can flag a message which will sync to your iPhone.

Lastly I have never liked RIM's model. It basically inculcates the idea that "man in the middle" is a good thing which it is not.

Just my 2¢

Tom