L3 announces new peering policy

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Oct 13 18:13:38 UTC 2011

--- asr at latency.net wrote:
From: Adam Rothschild <asr at latency.net>

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> Isn't it just more of the same, or am I brainnumb today?

What's changed is the introduction of "bit miles" as a means of
calculating equality, where traffic ratios might previously have been
used.  Explained further, as pointed out on-list earlier:

 http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021703819
 http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021703818

What will be interesting is whether new peering adjacencies crop up as
a result of the new policy (I can think of several "smaller" global
networks which now qualify, as it's written), or if this is just
posturing on Level 3's part.  The next few months will be interesting
for sure...

I do recall the bit-miles conversations, but didn't tie that into this.  doh!  Thanks for the links.  That kind of detail is what I should've been looking for and it explains everything.

scott