[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:09:54 UTC 2011

I've always believed that RIM's decision to implement email and other
services in this way was a very poor choice that at some point would
blow up in their faces. My evil half would say that is was a
marketer's rather than an engineer's decision.

It's one thing when you are basically the only game in town (as RIM
was a few years ago), now it's a completely different scenario.

RIM already faces a complicated playground. More high-profile
incidents like this one and suddenly people start losing confidence in
the service... one thing leads to another... then suddenly you're
target for acquisition by a huge corporation. Then things look up
again but exactly one year later that huge corporation buries
everything you did and you're a page in a history book :-)

Good luck to them,

Carlos