[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide, Egypt affected (not N.A.)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 12 15:41:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 07:47:13 PDT, "andrew.wallace" said:
> Guys the outage has moved to U.S and Canada, I think we need to look at this perhaps being sabotage.

It ain't sabotage till you rule out "misconfigured router".

Consider the actual real-world threat models and their likelyhoods:

1) Insufficiently caffienated network engineer - this *NEVER* happens in real
life, it's a total Bruce Schneier caliber movie-plot scenario.

2) Somebody sabotaging a RIM router.  This is more likely, because there's just
*bazillions* of people out there that stand to benefit from a RIM outage (and
in fact profit more from an outage than from being able to watch traffic as it
goes by).  It's just a question of which one of those bazillions did it *this*
time.

Andrew, you *really* need to learn what the actual failure modes and
root causes in real-life production networks are, and draw conclusions from
reality, not whatever MI-7 inspired dream world the claim of "sabotage"
came from.