nanog53 network status

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Oct 11 01:31:31 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Noah Weis" <nweis at verilan.com>

> We identified a link between 2 switches that was having intermittent
> physical errors just a bit ago. The offending copper bits have been thrown
> to the depths of hell. There were several access points in the center of
> Millenium Hall that were fed via this link and, as such, most likely
> contributed to some of the issues people were seeing this morning.

Suggestion: you (and everyone else who's ever in your position at a Large
Networking Conference) should *run a netops blog, and make sure it's well
publicized in the week leading up to the conference -- and at registration*.

Or, even, run a Twitter account to which people can subscribe from their
cellphones via SMS, on which you announce problems and fixes.

Communications, *way* ahead of the curve, ameliorates the impact of this
sort of problems remarkably.

Cheers,
-- jra