Were A record domain names ever limited to 23 characters?

steve pirk [egrep] steve at pirk.com
Fri Oct 7 23:45:53 UTC 2011

It turns out it was an artificial limitation on Network Solution's part.
Being the only registrar at the time, it was pretty much internet wide at
that point, contrary to the RFC spec.

What was so funny was that someone got Internic/Network Solutions to up the
limit. Apparently just to save some money on reprinting movie posters... ok,
so they would have had to change some trailers...
;-]

--
steve pirk
refiamerica.org