Botnets buying up IPv4 address space

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Oct 7 19:03:25 UTC 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Arturo Servin wrote:

> 	What do you mean with "purchasing or renting IPv4".
>
> 	Last time that I check it was not possible in the RIR world.

Nevertheless, it is possible in the real world.

> On 7 Oct 2011, at 15:11, Joly MacFie wrote:
>
>> I'd welcome comments as to solutions to this. Or is it just scaremongering?
>> Botnets buying up IPv4 address space
>>
>> http://j.mp/nMJ5Lr  (Threat Post)

Domain names, IP addresses, network connectivity, etc - all of these are resources that people can acquire, (mis)use, and replace.  The fact that reputation systems often conflate people and their (impermanent) resources is unfortunate, and is the source of much operational pain.

I don't see anything new in the article, and would classify parts of it as scaremongering. (e.g. the criticism of IPv6)

Cheers,
-Benson