F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET moved to Beijing?

Eric Osterweil eosterweil at verisign.com
Wed Oct 5 20:08:02 UTC 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Martin Millnert wrote:

> Leo,
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

<snip>

> This sounds an awfully lot like the notary concept:
> - http://perspectives-project.org/
> - http://convergence.io/
>
> Furthermore, changing network paths used to reach information probably
> should not be reason to shut down a service, in general.  More
> interesting than which path is used, I suppose, is whether or not the
> data being returned has been changed in some unexpected/undesired way.

Actually, some other related work that's been around for 3-6 years includes:
- http://vantage-points.org/
- http://secspider.cs.ucla.edu/

The former has a tech report (listed on its page, http://techreports.verisignlabs.com/tr-lookup.cgi?trid=1110001 ) that presents candidate closed form analysis of how much faith you can gain using network path diversity.

Eric