DPI deployment use case

Claudio Lapidus clapidus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 06:11:59 CDT 2011

Hello all,

We have had a number of DPI boxes (SCE8080) sitting in the access network
for a while now, so far they served mainly for congestion management and
such, and are wondering if there are some real use case in the fine-grained
service control land (as the vendors keep whispering in out ears...) Anyway,
we are reviewing a couple of service manager solutions, but I would like to
hear from you operators, what actual use cases have you seen in the field
(if any) for DPI'ing user sessions, considering we are mostly a DSL shop.

thanks in advance,
cl.