F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET moved to Beijing?

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 05:59:43 UTC 2011

120K domains - basically cnnic seems to have finally got tired of russian
botmaster types registering thousands of domains at a time, and put in a
rule that says you need business registration in China / ID in china to
register a .cn

Beyond that, that's one ccTLD - however large.   There are multiple gTLDs
that have already done a great job of cleanup (biz, info for example) and so
far I haven't heard of .us having an infestation of botmasters / spammers.

And of course there are all the registrars out there that need to be reached
out to / handled etc etc - but that's another kettle of fish.

We're discussing two different things here - apples and oranges, though it
does look like they're all part of the same fruit salad.

1. Action by different registrars / registries [in .cn's case, a government
controlled registry, to be sure]

2. State policy to route internet access and DNS through an inspecting +
rewriting firewall that blocks or replaces politically unacceptable content

--srs

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)