Were A record domain names ever limited to 23 characters?

Joe Hamelin joe at nethead.com
Sat Oct 1 03:32:07 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 02:54:38PM -0700, steve pirk [egrep] wrote:
>  I seem to recollect back the 1999 or 2000 times that I was unable to
>  register a domain name that was 24 characters long...

I remember tales from when there was an eight character limit.  But that was
back when you didn't have to pay for them and they assigned you a class-c
block automatically.  Of course it took six weeks to register because there
was only one person running the registry.

--
Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, 360-474-7474