IPv6 prefixes longer then /64: are they possible in DOCSIS networks?

Dmitry Cherkasov doctorchd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:59:53 UTC 2011

John,

I am determining technical requirements to IPv6 provisioning system
for DOCSIS networks and I am deciding if it is worth to restrict user
to use not less then /64 networks on cable interface. It is obvious
that no true economy of IP addresses can be achieved with increasing
prefix length above 64 bits.

As for using EUI-64, unlike random or sequential generation it
provides predictable results that may be desired, e.g. for tracking
some device migration between different networks.

Dmitry Cherkasov