Water Utility SCADA 'Attack': The, um, washout

Jerry Dixon jerry at jdixon.com
Sun Nov 27 12:41:37 UTC 2011

There is already a law on the books called Protected Critical Infrastructure Information (PCII).  It has stiff penalties for leaking the information.  The reporting critical infrastructure company has to request the information or report be protected under PCII.  In most cases the companies also use their own NDA as well for added recourse if the info gets leaked.  Also the fusion center or DHS could of offered this option up since most companies do not know this option/law is on the books.   For a State Fusion center to leverage this law they have to get a delegation from DHS or at a minimum bring the executive agent in to declare the info PCII since it's a federal law.

The PCII designator works and has been used in past incidents.  Sensitive but unclassified does not work and has widely varying meanings from agency to agency.  If it's that sensitive use PCII or classify as SECRET.

Regarding this incident, I was skeptical from the get go.  The fog of war around any incident is usually pretty thick at the initial stage.  This has been shown even in national level cyber exercises time and time again.  FBI/USSS/US-CERT are routinely engaged and investigating cyber incidents and nothing new here.  People acted as if that was outside the norm when it was not.

Jerry
Jerry at jdixon.com