Dynamic (changing) IPv6 prefix delegation

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu Nov 24 20:37:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

Op 24 nov 2011, om 21:09 heeft Joel jaeggli het volgende geschreven:

> On 11/21/11 14:18 , Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
>>> Look at the number that are refusing to make generous prefix
>>> allocations
>>> to residential end users and limiting them to /56, /60, or even worse,
>>> /64.
>>
>> Owen,
>>
>> What does Joe Sixpack do at home with a /48 that he cannot do with a /56 or a /60?
>
> prefix delegation to a downstream device via dhcp-pd

Joe Sixpack might not even realize that his device even does this. I actually added a dhcpv6 server that can do just this. Still considering if it should do that automatically.

Contrary to proper networking, I frequently see double nat routers because they purchased a new wifi routers which is then daisy chained to the old one.

Or they had a non-wifi model and plugged in the port labeled (internet) of the new wifi router into the existing one. Which is more common.

With dhcp-pd in each, you could daisy chain a few times before it gives out. You know what, let's just build that because I can, it's a few hours of coding, but nothing too serious. Most hooks are already in place. I just didn't start a dhcpdv6 automatically yet.

In a nutshell. Yes, Please.

Regards,

Seth