Network device command line interfaces

Jonathon Exley Jonathon.Exley at kordia.co.nz
Thu Nov 24 19:58:01 UTC 2011

That's the problem - as a propellorhead I don't make the purchasing decisions. I can recommend products but low cost speaks more loudly than "this gear is a dog to work with".
I don't really believe that manufacturers make crippleware user interfaces for thier products to encourage people to buy a more expensive range. I am more inclined to think that the software developers didn't have a good requirements spec to work from and made it up off thier own back.
With the wealth of experience of people using these devices in this forum, maybe we could collate some good advice on what features of a UI are really important.
Hopefully there are some manufactures listening who can take the advice on board for the next product they develop.

Jonathon

On 24/11/2011, at 18:04, "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design at gmail.com> wrote:

> If only it were that simple.
>
> Try explaining the difference between the blinky lights on a 3750 and the
> netgear switch to a CFO who has little tech background.
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 24, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Jonathon Exley wrote:
>>
>>> I have a personal hate of text based menus and binary config backup
>> files.
>>
>> So, the obvious solution is to buy the products of vendors whose CLIs one
>> finds least offensive, is it not?
>>
>> ;>

>> Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>
>>
>>               The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
>>
>>                         -- Oscar Wilde
>>

> --
> 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
This email and attachments: are confidential; may be protected by privilege and copyright; if received in error may not be used, copied, or kept; are not guaranteed to be virus-free; may not express the views of Kordia(R); do not designate an information system; and do not give rise to any liability for Kordia(R).