Any recommended router. They are reliable and have good support.

Joseph Sullivan joseph.sullivan at alyrica.net
Tue Nov 22 20:31:26 UTC 2011

We use a lot of Mikrotik in our network.  They are fantastic little routers
as long as you remember that they are not Cisco/Juniper/whatever.  In other
words, you pay a few hundred bucks, you get something worth at least that
much.  But don't put it head to head against a $10k router.

Support is technically sound, but you have to email Latvia and then wait for
the time difference to get a response.  If you expect to pay $100 for a
router and then get prompt, courteous, 24/7 tech support, you will be
disappointed. :)

We use their routers mostly for end user gateways doing QOS.  They do a
superb job of this.  I wouldn't particularly want them as network edge
devices or core routers; they will choke up if the PPS rate gets too high
and you are doing any kind of packet mangling.

There have been a lot of bugs in various versions of RouterOS, but the
current (5.8?) OS seems pretty good.  They added IPv6 support and fixed a
ton of bugs.

OSPF implementation was buggy before OS5, but seems to be relatively stable
since we upgraded.  BGP works fine but is perhaps less feature rich than
Cisco/Zebra.

Joseph

Alyrica Networks Inc / www.alyrica.net