Dynamic (changing) IPv6 prefix delegation

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Tue Nov 22 16:48:15 UTC 2011

>> 3) If you write an application using anything other than UDP or TCP,
>> it won't work on most networks (with some minor exceptions for PPTP
>> and IPSEC, which work sometimes).
>
> This hasn't been my experience unless you're behind some form of NAT.
> Yes, it is well known that NAT breaks most protocols.

I've come across a non-zero number of "residential" providers, who, with or without NAT, explicitly discard protocols 50 and 51.  The same argument is applied - if you want this, you must buy a "business" connection.  Which is usually double-speak for "add an order of magnitude to the price, turn off *some* of the broken-ness".

Regards,
Tim.