Dynamic (changing) IPv6 prefix delegation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 21 23:38:08 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 21, 2011, at 14:18, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan at atlasnetworks.us> wrote:

>> Look at the number that are refusing to make generous prefix
>> allocations
>> to residential end users and limiting them to /56, /60, or even worse,
>> /64.
>
> Owen,
>
> What does Joe Sixpack do at home with a /48 that he cannot do with a /56 or a /60?
>
> Nathan

First, the better question is what advantage is there in building such limiting present day limitations into the future?

Second, the answer is facilitate a broad range of automated hierarchical topologies allowing for both breadth and depth of prefix distribution among partitions within the home environment. I admit we have not even begun to scratch the surface of how, where, or why these topologies may evolve, but I can see that due to the tendency for software to be developed to the lowest common denominator, if we make said denominator too low, we will forever blockade the opportunities for such innovations to see the light of day.

Owen