First real-world SCADA attack in US

Mark Radabaugh mark at amplex.net
Mon Nov 21 21:46:03 UTC 2011

On 11/21/11 4:38 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
> Having worked on plenty of industrial and other control systems I can
> safely say security on the systems is generally very poor.   The
> vulnerabilities have existed for years but are just now getting
> attention.    This is a problem that doesn't really need a bunch of
> new legislation.   It's an education / resource issue.   The existing
> methods that have been used for years with reasonable success in the
> IT industry can 'fix' this problem.
>

>     Industrial Controls systems are normally only replaced when they
>     are so old that parts can no longer be obtained.   PC's started to
>     be widely used as operator interfaces about the time Windows 95
>     came out.   A lot of those Win95 boxes are still running and have
>     been connected to the network over the years.
>
>     And... if you can destroy a pump by turning it off and on too
>     often then somebody engineered the control and drive system
>     incorrectly.  Operators (and processes) do stupid things all the
>     time.  As the control systems engineer your supposed to deal with
>     that so that things don't go boom.
>

>     --
>     Mark Radabaugh
>     Amplex
>
>     mark at amplex.net <mailto:mark at amplex.net> 419.837.5015
>     <tel:419.837.5015>
>
>     ===============================================
>
> There are still industrial control machines out there running MS-DOS.
>
> As you said not replaced until you can't get parts anymore.
> Chuck
Oh yeah.... just not too many of those MS-DOS machines have TCP stacks :-)

I still get calls to work on machines I designed in 1999.   It's a real
pain finding a computer that can run the programming software.   A lot
of the software was written for 386 or slower machines and used timing
loops to control the RS-232 ports.   Modern processors really screw that
software up.

--
Mark Radabaugh
Amplex