economic value of low AS numbers

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 21:51:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 21:11, Robert E. Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The real question is whether it was issued after HHGTTG.
>>
>> HHGTTG first appeared on the BBC in 1978. Thinking Machines
>> Corporation was formed in 1982.  As far as I can tell the first BGP
>> RFC is 1105 and was published in 1989.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc827

AS42 was assigned after publication of RFC 923 (Oct 1984) and no later
than the superceding RFC 943 (April 1985).  AS numbers definitely
predate BGP.  AS1 was assigned by or before RFC 820 (Jan 1983).  EGP
was RFC 827 (Oct 1982).  Presumably the development involved informal
assignment of at least test AS numbers.

Cheers,
Dave Hart