economic value of low AS numbers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 17 18:08:05 UTC 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Dave Hart wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 17:32, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> ARIN policy does not currently support the transfer of AS numbers in
>> this manner. IMHO, it shouldn't, but, there is a policy proposal to
>> do so. I suggest that anyone interested in this subject review the
>> proposal and join the discussion on arin-ppml.
>>
>> Owen
>> (Speaking only for myself and not on behalf of the ARIN AC)
>
> Thanks.  My policy search was focused on arin.net, but I didn't find
> what you apparently know.  In particular, there's no reference to
> transfer of AS numbers in the NRPM, nor could I find any policy or
> procedure regarding updating POC or any other information associated
> with an AS registration.  Do keep in mind I was referring specifically
> to legacy AS numbers, where it is not clear to me ARIN policy would
> control, particularly in the case of a merger or acquisition.

ARIN is the successor registry to the prior registries that distributed
AS Numbers, so, I believe that they are subject to ARIN policy. I realize
there are others that have different opinions, but I really don't want to
engage in that debate here.

ARIN policy currently does not provide for transfer of AS numbers other
than through NRPM 8.2 for merger/acquisition.

Martin Hannigan proposed the following:

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-September/023136.html

which is on the AC docket as Proposal 158.

Personally, I do not favor this proposal. I don't think there is good reason
to allow the transfer of ASNs and I think that allowing transfers of IPv6
numbers is a really bad idea.

However, anyone with an interest in this proposal, whether in favor
or opposed should bring their opinion to arin-ppml.

> Would you refer me to the current ARIN policy regarding transfers of
> or updates to ASN registrations?

Updates are processed through the standard ARIN-online process
like updates to any other number resources. If you want additional
assistance on that, I suggest contacting the registration services
help desk by phone (703-227-0660) or email (hostmaster at arin.net).

Owen