Cable standards question

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Nov 14 15:12:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Sam (Walter) Gailey wrote:

> My question is this; Is there an appropriate standard to specify for fiber-optic cabling that if it is followed the fiber will be installed correctly? Would specifying TIA/EIA 568-C.3, for example, be correct?
>
> I'm envisioning something like;
>
> "The vendor will provide fiber connectivity between (building A) and
> (building B). Vendor will be responsible for all building penetrations
> and terminations. When installing the fiber-optic cable the vendor will
> follow the appropriate TIA/EIA 568 standards for fiber-optic cabling."

At minimum, I think you should probably specify the type and number of
fibers you want.  i.e. Based on the distance and gear you'll be using, do
you need single-mode, or will multi-mode do (as well as the core/cladding
diameter)?  Generally, but not always, fiber uses one strand for transmit
and another for receive, so a typical fiber run is done using duplex
fiber.  Some optics can transmit and receive over one strand using
different wavelengths.  You might even specify how you want the fiber
terminated (SC, LC, cables hanging from the wall, fiber patch panel,
etc.).

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |