Arguing against using public IP space

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Nov 13 16:42:16 UTC 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 10:36 PM, Jason Lewis wrote:

> I don't want to start a flame war, but this article seems flawed to me.

The real issue is interconnecting SCADA systems to publicly-routed networks, not the choice of potentially routable space vs. RFC1918 space for SCADA networks, per se.  If I've an RFC1918-addressed SCADA network which is interconnected to a publicly-routed- and -accessible network, then an attacker can work to compromise a host on the publicly-accessible network and then jump from there to the RFC1918 SCADA network.

> I think I could announce private IP space, so doesn't that make this argument invalid?

Most networks, except those which haven't implemented the most basic BCPs, wouldn't accept your announcements of RFC1918 or otherwise-reserved space.  It's likely that your peers/upstreams wouldn't accept them in the first place, much less propagate them.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde