ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call (expires in one week)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Nov 11 14:55:03 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:15:46AM -0700, Brett Watson wrote:
> > The tide is coming.  The tide is wet.  The tide is full of IPv6 water.
> > Get over it.
>
> Awesome, so you've solved the multi-homing issues with v6? The RA/DHCPv6 issues? (I'll just leave it at those three).

Multi-homing in IPv6 works just like it does in IPv4.  Folks may
be working on better ways, but that's the reality of the moment,
and it's a deployable reality.

RA/DHCPv6 is being worked on, and progress is being made...although
slower than I would like.

But remember, IPv4 isn't done 30+ years on.  The IETF has entertained
proposals to improve/extend IPv4 every year.  NAT wasn't in the original
spec.  MPLS was added much later, etc.  If you expect IPv6 to have 100%
feature parity day one and then never change, you have unrealistic
expectations.

It's deployable today.  Heck Comcast is deploying to end-users as we
speak.  Maybe in a few scenarios it still has significant issues that
there are deployment problems, but you find those by doing, not by
waiting.

The networks I run have been dual stacked for 5+ years.  It works.