ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call (expires in one week)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Nov 11 10:47:50 UTC 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:59 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> A tiny dose of reality:
> - The Internet (and world population as a whole) is growing most rapidly in the Asia/Pacific region.
> - There are companies who demand IPv4 addresses for which the combined yearly budgets of all the RIRs amounts to little more than a small fraction of what those companies spend on their lawyers alone.
> - APNIC no longer has IPv4 addresses to meet that demand.
> - There now at least 4 different organizations offering IPv4 addresses for sale (addrex.net, kalorama.com, tradeipv4.com, ipv4marketgroup.com) who are now participating in an estimated at $6 - $8 Billion market (and that's just legacy space).
>
> And you believe the couple of hundred folks who participate in ARIN are going to stand in the way of those business interests?  I might gently suggest it would probably be more useful to figure out how the new market players and the "legacy" RIRs can coexist in a way that doesn't do severe damage to the Internet than it is to discuss how to rearrange the deck chairs in ever more intricate designs in order to try to maintain unjustifiable monopolies.

David -

  We've got co-existence today for transfers within the ARIN region;
  it is now not uncommon to see ("Sale may be subject to compliance
  with policies of the American Registry of Internet Numbers") on
  various solicitations involving resources registered in the region.

  At present, there is no way to transfer resources in or out of the
  region, and whether that is desirable and under what constraints is
  precisely the question at hand with draft policy ARIN-2011-1. To the
  extent that folks have a view on this matter either in support or
  against, I suggest that you make that view known on the ARIN Public
  Policy Mailing List (ppml).   As this policy will have some effect
  on many in the Internet community, it would be best for folks to
  take a moment to provide this important feedback.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO