Firewalls - Ease of Use and Maintenance?

Richard Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Nov 10 18:12:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:39:29AM -0600, -Hammer- wrote:
> OK. Right off the bat you know I can't and won't.

Right.  I know you can't and won't.   I can't either.  So we can
summarily dismiss all the concerns about liability because they
have no relationship to reality.  You will not be suing BigFirewallCo,
no matter how horribly their product fails, no matter how bad the damage is,
no matter how obvious to all of us the failure is, no matter how culpable
we might all agree they are, because (a) your pockets aren't as deep
as BigFirewallCo's, and (b) you'd probably lose anyway (c) after 11 years
and a lot of billable hours for everyone's attorneys.  (s/you/I/ and
everyone else, unless we happen to work for a Fortune 50 company...and
probably not even then.)

When it comes to security, I think it's better to rely on software
engineering than litigation.

---rsk