Firewalls - Ease of Use and Maintenance?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Nov 10 15:53:17 UTC 2011

In a message written on Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:14:26AM -0500, Richard Kulawiec wrote:
> Please point to an instance (case citation, please) where a commercial
> firewall vendor has been successfully litigated against -- that is, held
> responsible by a court of law for a failure of their product to provide
> the functionality that it's claimed to provide.

Unsuccessful litigation has costs as well.  Patent trolls have sued
end-users in a number of cases for both commerical and open source
software.  In many cases they lose, but someone still has to shell
out a pile of cash for the lawyers to defend.

Just ask folks like AutoZone or DaimlerChrysler how much it cost to use
Linux when they were sued by SCO and had to defend themselves.  Sure,
they prevailed, but I bet tens of thousands of dollars were spent on
litigation.