ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call (expires in one week)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 10 12:39:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> 1) The concept of Inter-RIR transfers is a bad idea.  Insuring
>>    "compatible" rules between RIR's will always be difficult at
>>    best.
>
> no need to coordinate rules/policies at all.  what we suggested in a/p
> three years back was simple.  seller must abide by seller's local
> selling policy and buyer must abide by buyer's local receiving policy.

Randy,

Such a process creates a back-door requirement that participating
registries race to the bottom eliminating eligibility requirements for
address recipients. Failure to do so leaves their own registrants at
an unfair disadvantage when trying to get addresses. The approach is,
unfortunately, more simpleminded than it is simple.

But really this discussion belongs on the ARIN PPML where your input
would be most welcome.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004