Firewalls - Ease of Use and Maintenance?

-Hammer- bhmccie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:52:52 UTC 2011

I think that firewall/censorship is all semantics. The real question is
the scale of the environment and the culture of your shop and areas of
ownership.

I work in a large enterprise. Combining "functions" such as L3
firewalling with content filtering with url filtering with XXX can be
difficult.

1. Can the platform actually handle all the traffic?
2. Does one group own ALL the separate functions? If not, RBAC becomes
an important (and sometimes political) issue.
3. How easy is it to troubleshoot?

Although modern hardware is quickly catching up with all the glorious
software features people want these days, in our environment we found it
easier and saner to separate these functions. They were owned by
different groups and the number of FWs we deploy vs the number of
content filters didn't add up to make sense when aggregating functions
was discussed.

In a smaller operation a Fortinet or other product that consolidates
these efforts may make sense. In a larger operation in depends on many
outside factors.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of working with PIX/FWSM/ASA since Vietnam.
I've worked with Netscreen/Juniper, IPTables, PFsense, CheckPoint over
Nokia, CheckPoint over Winblows, CheckPoint over UTM, Fortinet,
Sonicwall (say Uncle!) and others. They all have their pros and cons and
in the end it is specific to your shops needs.

More of a UNIX guy? BSD FWs. No we aren't going to talk about how BSD
isn't UNIX. That's a different mailing list.
More of a Linux guy and need to make sure you have a vendor to yell at?
CheckPoint. IPSO/SPLAT/GAEA is all Linux.
Not a UNIX/Linux guy and you need a more reliable vendor? And a
traditionally safer bet? "No one ever got fired for buying Cisco."
Need to save money? Consolidate functions? Confident of the capabilities
of the product? Fortinet.

And the list goes on and on and on....

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"