[outages] More notes

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Nov 8 19:03:24 UTC 2011

On 11/8/2011 12:05 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> And if JunOS is anything like CIsco IOS, a lot of shops didn't upgrade because
> the newer release has *other* issues in their environments.  Nobody wants to
> upgrade to fix a once-ever-few-months bug if it also buys them a daily crash in
> something else.

Juniper runs a quarterly (roughly major) 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, ....

R is patch revisions for the major release. They are usually good at
fixing and not breaking things on the R release. My last upgrade a bit
ago was R7.5 of 10.4 (which has more revisions than older 10 releases,
probably due to the fact that it will be the long term support release
and gets non-critical patches as well).

Jack