[outages] More notes

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 8 18:05:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:21:37 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer said:
> I disagree. The official bug statement from Juniper in August was
> trying very hard to downplay the importance of the bug ("Given the
> complexity of conditions required to trigger this issue, the
> probability of exploiting this defect is extremely low"). No wonder so
> few people (and not only at Level-3) did not upgrade.

August (and if that's when the *fix* came out, the bug is even older).

September.

October.

November.  So maybe the probability *is* low.

And if JunOS is anything like CIsco IOS, a lot of shops didn't upgrade because
the newer release has *other* issues in their environments.  Nobody wants to
upgrade to fix a once-ever-few-months bug if it also buys them a daily crash in
something else.