Performance Issues - PTR Records

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Nov 7 14:00:31 UTC 2011

Leigh Porter <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com> writes:

> Indeed, there is no way I would allow that either. But really,
> providing a reverse zone and forward zone to match is a case of five
> minutes and a shell script or a DNS that as Steinar said, will
> synthesise results.
>
> It's really not all that difficult..

No, not at all.  It's just totally pointless.  Any IPv6 address is just
as pretty as a synthesized name.  Maybe even prettier. Do you prefer
"2001:db8:1::2" or "20010db8000100000000000000000002.rev.example.com"?

If we're going to provide any reverse DNS for end users, then it is
because we can create names which actually improves something.

Bjørn