Performance Issues - PTR Records

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Nov 7 06:50:48 UTC 2011

Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> writes:

> The practice of filling out the reverse zone with fake PTR record
> started before there was wide spread support for UPDATE/DNS.  There
> isn't any need for this to be done anymore.  Machines are capable
> of adding records for themselves.

How do I setup this for DHCPv6-PD?  Say, I delegate 2001:db8:42::/48 to
the end user.  Should I delegate reverse DNS as well?  If so, to whom?

Or is it the CPEs responibility to dynamically add records for whatever
addresses it sees on the internal LAN(s)?  Are there CPEs capable of
doing this?

Or will the end systems themselves do the update against my DNS server?
If so, how do I authenticate that?

Bjørn