Route server: Route-server.ip.att.net

Michael Sabino michael.rocco.sabino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:39:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

Could you give me the relevant configs explaining why when I traceroute to
12.83.43.9 on route-server.ip.att.net, the first hop is "
j6300.cbbtier3.att.net (12.0.1.202)". However, when I type "show ip route
12.83.43.9", the RIB shows, "* 12.122.83.91, from 12.122.83.91, 7w0d ago".

I asked someone who is knowledgeable about the matter, and he seems to
think that you can change the interface which sends back ICMP unreachables,
but I don't know how to do this on my own simulated equipment.

Also, I have noticed that when I traceroute to any ip address on the
internet from my home connection, the last hop that's in common with all
traceroutes is 12.83.43.9. This is a hop after several hops which seem to
be filtered. What is the purpose of this IP?

Are there any publically available documentation that would help me
understand the process of aggregating multiple DSLAMs, etc on my at&t
u-verse connection?

I am a CCNA/CCNP student in college and this would help me understand WANs
better.

Thanks

Michael R. Sabino
michael.rocco.sabino at gmail.com