Performance Issues - PTR Records

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Fri Nov 4 17:07:39 UTC 2011

> It's already been pointed out that lame delegations are more likely
> problems for many. But the "we'll just pre-fill in-addr to avoid
> problems" isn't going to work for ip6.arpa. If anyone has enough
> hardware to serve the zone for a /48 (64k * 4bil * 4bil *
> bytes-in-record), I'd love to see it. :)

If PTR exists in zone file, serve it.
Else, synthesize generic reverse.
Jobsagoodun.

> We need to get web and app folks to stop counting on
> ip6.arpa/in-addr.arpa as a validation of trustworthiness. PTR make some
> sense for validating servers, MTAs, etc. and it's handy for traceroute
> but it was never a great tool and it's getting less useful with time.

I've always seen it as a reasonable indication of a) minimum level of clue and b) giving a damn.  If you can't be bothered or don't know how to provide even basic generic rDNS for your network, there's a reasonable chance you're lacking in other areas of network / user management.  (Not "you" personally, of course).

Regards,
Tim.