BGP conf

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Nov 3 00:44:48 UTC 2011

On 11/2/2011 7:01 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> What you are asking your boss/company to do is trust you to put tires
> on their car without the right tools or knowledge.  The result of that
> is probably how your network will end up: "a wreck."

Reminds me of the look on my original boss' face when I said, "Well, I
have no BGP experience, but I think I'm going to redo this entire BGP
config. It doesn't look right." I then proceeded to try every ?
hierarchy under bgp in the then cisco routers and read up on every
command until I understood each one.

Okay, it was simple, had no route-maps, and used access-lists instead of
prefix-lists. It worked for a single 7206 BGP aggregation router.

Now I have the mile long monstrosity that uses BGP communities for
everything, and of route-maps/policies with prefix-lists for downstream
customers. You have to start somewhere.

cymru secure bgp templates is probably a good beginning. Careful study
of your routing platform, what it supports, and reading up on what it
means. If you don't understand something, use vendor specific
lists/forums/documentation/google until you do.

Jack