IT Survey Request: Win an iPad2 or Kindle!

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Fri May 27 18:43:00 UTC 2011

On May 27, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Michael Holstein wrote:

> Not picking on you personally .. but let's call a spade a spade, shall
> we? .. this is market research sponsored by a vendor with a hat in the
> game. Not exactly objective, and wasn't disclosed up-front.

OK, let me step in here.

This was sponsored under http://www.cisco.com/research, which is a program in which we hand out smalls amounts of money in the form of grants to further the industry. It is done as a grant from and to a 501(3)c. As a result, under US law, we are explicitly precluded from directly benefiting from the research. We can read the paper when it's published, and we might or might not draw conclusions from it, but the paper will at that point be in the open.

Yes, it's Cisco funding. It's UCLA research, and as far as we know it is exactly as described by Sunder - he's gathering data for a paper.

Listen folks. If you want to be involved, Sunder will appreciate it. If you don't, don't be. But don't beat the kid up over unfounded assumptions.