IT Survey Request: Win an iPad2 or Kindle!

Sunder Rajan, Archana Devi archana.devi.sunder.rajan.2011 at anderson.ucla.edu
Fri May 27 16:34:35 UTC 2011

[Steve Wrote] as an academic who frequently does research involving human subjects, generally including surveys -- that this is a very normal way to proceed.  Finding enough subjects is always hard; it's the single biggest obstacle we encounter.  Paying people is the usual approach, but for a group like this, the usual nominal amount we pay undergrads ($10-25) isn't enough.  Other common approaches -- flyers all over campus, offers on Mechanical Turk, ads on Facebook or Google Adwords, etc. -- won't work if you're trying to get people with specialized knowledge or skills.  What's left?

Steve, thank you - you captured the background and nature of this process very well.  Rest assured that this project is approved by the school and is part of our MBA coursework (we students get graded for this - this is not just a side project).  To provide full disclosure, this academic project is part of UCLA Anderson's Strategic Management Research projects and is sponsored by Cisco.

Mike, to address your concerns:  the survey is part of a primary research to understand what the market needs are directly from people involved in the field.  Like Steve points out, this means finding avenues where the domain experts are available - such as our school Alumni lists, Linkedin and mailing lists like Nanog.  I have been a member of Nanog for a few months now and have found that very well informed discussions take place here.  I would therefore consider it a privilege to have the input from the NANOG group members.  While you are right that the give aways are small compared to the intangible value the research will gain from your insights, this is just a small way we students want to thank our survey participants within the limited budget we have been allocated for this.  I do hope you understand and I really would appreciate your feedback as well as other Nanog members'.

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Arch