Contention/Oversubscription maths

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Fri May 27 09:49:05 UTC 2011

On 27/05/2011 03:45, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On May 27, 2011, at 9:12 AM,<Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>  wrote:
>
>> What do you do on Patch Tuesday?
>
> For that matter, what do you do when the latest 'cool' YouTube video go viral, or Amazon offer the next Lady GaGa album on sale for $0.99, or people with iDevices download the latest 300MB+ FPS for their devices (there are several of these available now, and they're quite popular)?
>
> This .pdf preso may be relevant:
>
> <https://files.me.com/roland.dobbins/c07vk1>

I'm talking of 1000 users on the end of a 1GE, not 50,000. I don't think
either of these scenarios are worrying.

300MB takes <3seconds on 1GE or 30 seconds on 100M. I don't think those
kinds of events will have an appreciable effect on the platform here. An
album is what, 100MB? A 5min HD youtube video is going to be a similar
size. Also too small to care about. These kinds of things don't get
worse in high speed, they get easier.

Same with patch tuesday, I think even a Win7 SP1-like release wouldn't
cause major headaches, as streaming SD TV for an hour is more bandwidth
than SP1 (nevermind HD).

I'm more interested in the levels of traffic that we will see consistently.

adam.