where are all the IPv6 tools?

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Fri May 27 07:47:32 UTC 2011

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo <carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm addicted to sipcalc: http://www.routemeister.net/projects/sipcalc/
>
> It's available on standard repositories for MacPorts, Ubuntu, Debian
> and Fedora. I guess install is straightforward in other platforms as
> well.
>
> regards
>
> Carlos
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Kyle Duren <pixitha.kyle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Jay Borkenhagen <jayb at braeburn.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I depend on a number of shell tools for manipulating IPv4 addresses,
> >> CIDR blocks, etc. like:
> >>
> >>  aggis
> >>  ipsort.pl
> >>  grepcidr
> >>  aggregate
> >>
> >> I have not yet found much in terms of similar shell utilities for
> >> IPv6.  I've spoken to authors of some of these tools and they admit
> >> they have not yet produced IPv6-capable versions.  (Not trying to name
> >> and shame: those tools are great, I just want more!)
> >>
> >> Do folks here know of IPv6 tools that might provide some of the
> >> functions the above tools provide for IPv4?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >>                                                       Jay B.
> >>

> > I recommend IPv6gen.
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/ipv6gen/
> >
> > Very useful. Granted its not what you were asking for exactly....
> >
> > >From the site:
> >
> > "ipv6gen is tool which generates list of IPv6 prefixes of given length
> > from certain prefix according to RFC 3531. (A Flexible Method for
> > Managing the Assignment of Bits of an IPv6 Address Block)"
> >
> > -Kyle

A while ago I was having some conceptual barriers dealing with
sanity-checking a given IPv6 network specification, e.g.,
why are

  2620:0:A0::/48
  2620:0:A00::/43
  2620:0:500::/41

valid but 2620:0:510::/41 not valid?  So I coded up something
that would offer a bit of an explanation:

  checknet 2620:0:510::/41
  The network prefix has more bits than the prefix size:
    2620:0000:0510:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000
                ^
  This is the rightmost non-zero hex digit for a /41 prefix.
  If non-zero, the digit must be an 8.

Otherwise, the tool the quite basic compared to the others
that were mentioned.

  http://ftp.hpl.hp.com/pub/andris/tools/checknet

------
Andris