Ham Radio Networking (was Re: Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 27 04:04:43 UTC 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Carl Rosevear wrote:

> Yeah, so...  the thing is there really are benefits to ham radio for
> the community.  I 100% believe in that.  And yes, there are a lot of
> neck beards but, honestly, look at some pictures from a NANOG meeting!
> ;)

Indeed, there is a club call sign for NANOG. ;-)

I have it on good authority that N4NOG is registered as follows:

N4NOG
North American Network Operators' Group ARC
C/o Robert Seastrom, PO BOX 9303
McLean, VA 22102
USA

Source: http://www.qrz.com

> But so here is a "system" that is capable of playing a key role in
> improving many peoples' lives (if actually used), helping in
> emergencies, assisting during armageddon (?), etc.  There are an awful
> lot of netblocks that are used for much less valid things (IMHO)...
> but since those make money, everyone endorses it and considers it
> "proper".

Given this belief you may want to come stand up for it on the ARIN
public policy mailing list where there is currently a policy being
discussed that attempts to remove needs basis from the criteria
to receive an IPv4 netblock through the directed transfer process.

Owen