Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Wed May 25 16:38:11 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 11:12 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

>> As USENIX director I sponsored and sheparded this project, called "Stargate".
>> We at least got bits into the blanking interval at WTBS in Altanta.
>>
> So... would this have been feasible today? given the bandwidth
> required to send a full feed these days, i suspect likely not, eh?
> (even if you were able to do it on all 500+ channels in parallel)

All you need these days is an MPEG4 decoder and some ATSC tuners, and
you can regenerate most of the alt. namespace locally. For the rest you
may need a subscription to netflix a DVD drive, and some ripping software.

I wonder what usenet would take for bandwidth if you ditched all the
pirated content.

-Paul