Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 04:04:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:45 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:22:20 CDT, Jeremy said:
>> As long as necessary precautions are taken (route filters, tunnels, VRF's)
>> shouldn't this be technically feasible without any negative ramifications?
>
> The types of network designers who are able to cover *every single* little
> detail needed to make this sort of thing work are rarely the types of network
> designers that would snarf up somebody else's prefix to use for this sort of
> thing, and vice versa.

I think you underestimate how truly common this practice is in private
corners of large networks.  I did not say good, but i did say common.
And, it will become increasingly common.  Look down on it as much as
you want, but it is the reality.  Squatting on (currently) unrouted
space is the new NAT.

CB
CB